[Css-csts] Procedure result state after unbind or peer abort

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Wed Jan 16 15:44:56 EST 2008

Members of the CSTSWG ---
Each of the CSTS procedures definition sections has a state table. The
most recent specifications of these procedures have slightly different
names for these states:

1. Association Control: (1-unbound, 2.1-bound/ready, 2.2 - bound
active);
2. Information Query: NO STATE TABLE IN CURRENT VERSION
3. Buffered Data Delivery: (1-inactive, 2-active);
4. Unbuffered Data Delivery: (inactive, active);
5. Cyclic Report: (inactive, active);
6. Throw Event: (inactive)
7. Data Processing: (1-inactive, 2-active, 3-blocked);
8. Notification: (1-inactive, 2-active).

Ignoring for the moment the slightly different ways that the various
procedures name the states, I'd like to call attention to the issue of
where the state of a procedure transitions to upon an unbind or peer
abort. We talked about this some at the December telecon, but my
hand-written notes are incomplete and there was no mention of the topic
in the Minutes of the telecon.

The state table for the Association Control procedure properly indicates
that the state goes to state 1 (unbound) after performing an {unbind} or
{peer abort}.

The state table for the Buffered Data Delivery procedure currently
indicates that in state 1 (inactive), a (StopInvocation) incoming event
will result in a peer abort, followed by a transition to "state 1". Was
the intent that the procedure stay in the procedure's state 1
('inactive'), or transfer to the service's state 1 ('unbound')? If the
resultant state is the 'unbound' state, then should there be a separate
'unbound' column in the state table?

Further down in the Buffered Data Delivery procedure state table, the
'unbind' and 'peer abort' incoming events both result in {clean up}
(with no transition) when the procedure is in the inactive state, and
{clean up} with a transition to state 2.1 (inactive) when the procedure
is in the active state.

The Cyclic Report and Unbuffered Data Delivery procedures have
essentially the same behavior as the Buffered Data Delivery procedure in
response to an unbind and peer abort; i.e., the procedure either stays
in or transitions to the inactive state (not unbound).

What is the proper state of a non-Association Control procedure
following an unbind or peer abort? Is it unbound, inactive, or does it
have "no state"? My notes from the December telecon seem to indicate
that it is unbound, but that may have just been my personal thoughts and
not reflecting any consensus. If it is unbound, should we show an
unbound state column on the state tables?

John Pietras
Global Science & Technology, Inc. (GST)
7855 Walker Drive
Suite 200