[Css-csts] Terms and Definitions - Service definition

Yves.Doat at esa.int Yves.Doat at esa.int
Mon Jul 30 05:12:36 EDT 2007

Dear John,
   I  compared  the  various  definitions  of  services  you prepared in your
   document  "Proposed  Terminology  for  User  in CSTS Procedures Definition
   Specification"  with  the  figure  (see  below)  I  prepared  in the draft
   Recommendation  (resulting  from  several  discussions)  and  I  have  the
   following  comments.  The  figure  addresses  those  books  that are to be
   covered by in our area.

      Cross  Support Services: SLE Service Management Suites belongs to Cross
      Support Service.
      Cross  Support  Transfer  Services  is  a  subclass  of  Cross  Support
      Services. This is in line with the figure.
      SLE Transfer Services is a subclass of Cross-Support Transfer Services.
      This is in line with the figure
      Ground Domain Services. In your document (Section B "What about Ground
      Communication and Ground Domain Services?".
      You state "Because the Ground Domain services are primarily identified
      as "not SLE", it is hard to develop a unifying set of characteristics
      that would apply to all of them ...". While I agree with you I think we
      need such a definition and depending on the evolution we should have
      the possibility to derive subclasses of the Ground Domain Services. In
      addition having such a definition gives a more coherent picture of the
      overall approach.
      I would therefore be in favour of keeping such a Ground-Domain
      Services.
      Space Link service you propose would be at the same level as the Ground
      Domain services and SLE Transfer services. What is unclear to me is the
      borderline of such services and what books would belong to those
      services.

   I  am  afraid  that  whatever  we  decide we will have to rework the Cross
   Support Concept making sure that it reflects our discussions .

   Eventually  the  updated  and final figure will have to be included in the
   Recommendation  (Cross  Support  Transfer  Services  -  Part 1: Procedures
   Definition) and in the Cross Support Transfer Services - Toolkit Concept.

   Best regards

   Yves