[Css-csts] Terms Definitions and 'live data'

Yves.Doat at esa.int Yves.Doat at esa.int
Thu Jul 26 05:14:03 EDT 2007

Dear John,

I read the document you posted on the Web site and realised it covers your
previous document (the one I commented yesterday) and extend it.
So please disregard my mail from yesterday and please find attached your new
document with some comments. You have done a great job in compiling this list
and I do not have major comments.

Regarding the proposed new name for "live data": "contemporaneous" I feel
uncomfortable as it does not make any easy sense to me.
Looking on Internet for some definitions I found:

real time date: Data that are acquired and transmitted immediately to the
ground (as opposed to playback data). Delay is limited to the actual time
(propagation delays) required to transmit the data (JPL definition)

Another alternative would be to keep on-line and off-line data which are
well-known terms and find a way to express the CSTS approach merging on-line
complete and off-line.

(See attached file: TermsForCSTSProcSpecR1- YD Comment.doc)
Best regards

Yves
Head Ground Infrastructure Baseband Section (OPS-GIB)
ESA/ESOC Robert-Bosch Strasse 5
D-64293 Darmstadt, Germany
Tel.: +49 (6151) 90.2288               Fax:+49 (6151) 90.3046
Internet: http://www.esa.int/

             John Pietras
             <john.pietras at gst.
             com>                                                         To
             Sent by:                   css-csts at mailman.ccsds.org
             css-csts-bounces at m                                           cc
             ailman.ccsds.org
                                                                     Subject
                                        [Css-csts] Substitute word for
             25/04/2007 23:51           "live" data?

Members of the CSTSWG --
I have come across a term that I think might be appropriate for what has
been recently called "live" (as in "live data") in the CSTS Procedures
Definition document. The word is "contemporaneous", which is defined as
"existing, occurring, or beginning at the same time or during the same
period of time as something else". It is a rather long word, but I think
that it is a proper word for what we are trying to express.
Specifically, "contemporaneous data" could be defined for CSTS purposes
as "data that exists or occurs at the same time as it is generated by
its source."

Given that there has been some uneasiness with the term "live", we might
want to consider this as an alternative.