[CMC] Re: [CESG] Re: [Sois-wir] [SOIS] Proposed way-forward for SOIS

Chris.Taylor at esa.int Chris.Taylor at esa.int
Mon Feb 19 03:42:24 EST 2007

Adrian, it seems to me that you are moving the goal posts and attempting to
change the rules of the game. We have followed CESG procedure and directives
to the letter - the Green book has been submitted to the CESG , reviewed and
updated accordingly and now, in accordance with CCSDS procedure, it should be
released.

At the CESG meeting the SOIS activity was fully discussed during the area
report. The resolutions proposed during the ESA presentation were not
questioned and the only point of contention was whether we go the Blue of
Magenta route. It was agreed that this decision would be deferred until all
Agencies had the chance to see the contents of the Red books.

Going back on these agreements, made in the presence of the CMC, is not
acceptable and I would respectively request that the CESG and the CMC remain
with the CCSDS decisions taken during the meeting. Anything else would make a
mockery of CCSDS procedures and reporting structures.

As far as the charters are concerned, they were updated and submitted to you
for review around November last year.  Finally, the two industrial support
contract we have in place to support the SOIS have now expired as far as the
green book is concerned, so we have 0 resources to  perform yet another round
of CESG updates.

Regards,

//ct

             "Adrian J. Hooke"
             <adrian.j.hooke at jp
             l.nasa.gov>                                                  To
             Sent by:                   Chris.Taylor at esa.int
             cesg-bounces at mailm                                           cc
             an.ccsds.org               CCSDS Management Council
                                        <cmc at mailman.ccsds.org>, CCSDS
                                        Engineering Steering Group - ADs
             16/02/2007 19:03           <cesg at mailman.ccsds.org>
                                                                     Subject
                                        Re: [CESG] Re: [Sois-wir] [SOIS]
                                        Proposed way-forward for SOIS

Chris: I would respectfully point out that at this point time you don't have
approved charters for *any* of the SOIS work. The fact that you are moving
rapidly ahead without charters indicates that your contractual requirements
can clearly tolerate some uncertainty. Surely your contractual interests
would be far better served by CCSDS consensus than by a rush to publication?

My position is unchanged. I want the CESG to evaluate the *whole* SOIS
situation, all at once, not in piecemeal dribs and drabs. Then I want to CESG
to formulate a technical recommendation about the whole activity, and for the
CMC to act accordingly. I see no benefit to issuing a Green Book until that
holistic assessment is complete.

The Management Council is copied on this exchange. If the ESA delegate would
like to ask the CESG to forward the SOIS Green Book to the CMC for standalone
voting with a view towards early publication - without the benefit of a CESG
review of the rest of the SOIS work - I will of course be happy to
accommodate that request.

Best regards
Adrian
Adrian J. Hooke
Chairman, CCSDS Engineering Steering Group (CESG)