[CMC] Re: [CESG] Re: [Sois-wir] [SOIS] Proposed way-forward for SOIS

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Feb 16 13:03:12 EST 2007

Chris: I would respectfully point out that at this point time you don't
have approved charters for *any* of the SOIS work. The fact that you are
moving rapidly ahead without charters indicates that your contractual
requirements can clearly tolerate some uncertainty. Surely your contractual
interests would be far better served by CCSDS consensus than by a rush to
publication?

My position is unchanged. I want the CESG to evaluate the *whole* SOIS
situation, all at once, not in piecemeal dribs and drabs. Then I want to
CESG to formulate a technical recommendation about the whole activity, and
for the CMC to act accordingly. I see no benefit to issuing a Green Book
until that holistic assessment is complete.

The Management Council is copied on this exchange. If the ESA delegate
would like to ask the CESG to forward the SOIS Green Book to the CMC for
standalone voting with a view towards early publication - without the
benefit of a CESG review of the rest of the SOIS work - I will of course be
happy to accommodate that request.

Best regards
Adrian
Adrian J. Hooke
Chairman, CCSDS Engineering Steering Group (CESG)