[CMC] Re: Proposed way-forward for SOIS

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Feb 20 10:55:42 EST 2007

At 12:42 AM 2/19/2007, Chris.Taylor at esa.int wrote:
>  it seems to me that you are moving the goal posts and attempting to
> change the rules of the game.

Chris: the goal posts for SOIS have been in constant motion for at least
five years. Last June we settled on the "rules of the new game" and they were:

1. To restructure the SOIS work into two new interim Working Groups.
2. To create draft charters for those two new interim Working Groups.
3. To have the interim Working Groups create Green Books that would establish
    the new goal post positions.
4. To have the Working Groups create a number of draft Red Books
    that were aimed at that goal.
5. To have the Area Director submit the integrated package of draft charters,
    draft Green Books  and draft Red Books to the CESG for technical review.
6. To submit a CESG technical recommendation to the CMC with respect to
    the future directions of SOIS.

That's the process; we are now at step 5.

>  - the Green book has been submitted to the CESG , reviewed and updated
> accordingly and now, in accordance with CCSDS procedure, it should be released.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. In order to get the updated Green Book
ready for publication, three steps need to occur:

a. An updated draft, containing the changes made in response to the RIDS,
needs to be sent to the CCSDS Editor so that the changes can be
incorporated into the pre-publication version. This has not yet been
accomplished by the SOIS Area.

b. The edited version of the document and a RID tracking package that shows
how all of the RIDS have been closed needs to be sent to the CESG for
review, to verify that the changes are acceptable. This has not yet been
accomplished by the SOIS Area.

c. The CESG needs to do a final review and agree that the updated document
is ready for publication.

>At the CESG meeting the SOIS activity was fully discussed during the area
>report. The resolutions proposed during the ESA presentation were not
>questioned and the only point of contention was whether we go the Blue of
>Magenta route. It was agreed that this decision would be deferred until all
>Agencies had the chance to see the contents of the Red books.

No, not the "Agencies" at this point. It's the CESG who needs to
technically review the draft Red Books, and that review needs to be
conducted in the context of the updated Green Book. Which is precisely the
point that I have been making: namely that in order to formulate a
technical recommendation to the CMC with respect to the future directions
of SOIS, the CESG needs to see the whole picture.

>As far as the charters are concerned, they were updated and submitted to
>you for review around November last year.

Where they currently reside, waiting for step 5 above to occur. Please
attend to getting the full package completed, edited and submitted - as a
package - to the CESG for technical review.

Best regards
Adrian

Adrian J. Hooke
Chairman, CCSDS Engineering Steering Group (CESG)