[CMC] First draft: proposed updated CCSDS-OMG "MOU"

Soula Jean-Marc jean-marc.soula at cnes.fr
Thu Dec 21 10:05:19 EST 2006

Dear Adrian,

The project looks good to me.

I just miss some information that may be addressed inside or outside the MOU ; for instance:

- in the OMG and joint modes, there is a risk that the final document is not approved as a CCSDS standard by those members who we not invited to contribute ; the way around is with the agency review. As the question may be similar in the CCSDS and joint modes for OMG members, this could be addressed and clarified in the MOU.

- the issue of being a member of OMG (including membership fees) to be allowed to contribute should be part of the agreement. Waiver on fees for CCSDS members if not OMG members ? Restrictions on rights ? CCSDS considered collectively ?

- it was a finding of the previous development phase with OMG that the rates of meetings and delays for production of standards are not same and, to some extent, are not compatible. This cpntradicts one of the "recognizing" : "Both organizations agree that  such  developments should  be executed in a  way that does not perturb the current operating modes or procedures of either party". Again I feel that associated procedures and agreed waivers should be part of the MOU ... And be developped within CCSDS in terms of organization and procedures.

- it should be clarified who is the technical level : CESG for CCSDS ? A mirror WG in CCSDS when in the OMG mode ? How this should work at the technical level should be clarified. However, this may be partially internal to CCSDS organization and not everything in the MOU.

Best regards

Jean-Marc Soula
CNES - DCT/OP/C-STA
Advisor, GN Operations