[CESG] RE: [CMC] Re: Proposed new development time limits

Jean-Luc.Gerner at esa.int Jean-Luc.Gerner at esa.int
Fri Aug 18 10:18:25 EDT 2006

Peter,
I can only agree with these wise suggestions.

regards
Jean-Luc Gerner
TEC-ETN
Tel: +31 71 565 4473

             "Allan, PM
             (Peter)"
             <P.M.Allan at rl.ac.u                                           To
             k>                         "Adrian J. Hooke"
             Sent by:                   <adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov>, CCSDS
             cesg-bounces at mailm         Management Council
             an.ccsds.org               <cmc at mailman.ccsds.org>, CCSDS
                                        Engineering Steering Group - ADs
                                        <cesg at mailman.ccsds.org>
             18/08/2006 12:56                                             cc
                                        CCSDS Secretariat
                                        <secretariat at mailman.ccsds.org>
                                                                     Subject
                                        [CESG] RE: [CMC] Re: Proposed new
                                        development time limits

I am sure that we all want to have the standards development process move
along as quickly as it can, while recognising that things do take time. The
example that Gilles quotes is a real one, but I believe it would be
unacceptable for all standards to take that long. I suggest that when a new
working group is created, then there should be a realistic assessment of how
long the work is expected to take (as is already done), but then there should
be serious consideration given as to whether that time is acceptable, or
whether important customers for the standard are going to be grumbling, even
if we deliver to our planned schedule.

The sooner we foresee trouble, the sooner we can do something about it, and I
do not rule out the option of realising that we need to do something
radically different from what was originally planned.

Cheers

Peter Allan

Dr. Peter M. Allan
Head, Space Data Division