[CMC] Re: Proposed new development time limits

Allan, PM (Peter) P.M.Allan at rl.ac.uk
Fri Aug 18 06:56:42 EDT 2006

I am sure that we all want to have the standards development process
move along as quickly as it can, while recognising that things do take
time. The example that Gilles quotes is a real one, but I believe it
would be unacceptable for all standards to take that long. I suggest
that when a new working group is created, then there should be a
realistic assessment of how long the work is expected to take (as is
already done), but then there should be serious consideration given as
to whether that time is acceptable, or whether important customers for
the standard are going to be grumbling, even if we deliver to our
planned schedule.

The sooner we foresee trouble, the sooner we can do something about it,
and I do not rule out the option of realising that we need to do
something radically different from what was originally planned.

Cheers

Peter Allan
Dr. Peter M. Allan
Head, Space Data Division