[CMC] Re: [CESG] AREA DIRECTORS: NEED MATERIAL FOR "CCSDS LINK"

Peter Shames peter.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Nov 22 18:48:44 EST 2005

Dear Penelope,

Here is the SEA input for the "CCSDS Link" newsletter.

System Engineering Area

Points to Ponder

Things should be as simple as possible,
But no simpler.
				Albert Einstein

Internet Robustness Principle -
        Be liberal in what you accept, and
        conservative in what you send.
				Jon Postel, RFC 793 & 1122

Within CCSDS the System Engineering Area (SEA) has responsibility for
describing the overall architecture for space mission communications,
operations, and cross-support.  To this end it coordinates and
collaborates with the other areas about architectural choices and
options and creates whatever cross area working groups and BoFs as are
required to progress the work of CCSDS.  The SEA consists of three
working groups (System Architecture, Information Architecture, and
Security), two Birds of a Feather (BoF) for the Space Assigned Numbers
Authority (SANA) and the Space Ground Interoperability Architecture
(SGIA), and a Special Interest group (SIG) that has just started to
develop XML Standards & Guidelines (XSG).

The System Architecture WG has been developing a high level system
reference model and the formal methodology and tools for describing
space data system architectures.  This Reference Architecture for Space
Data Systems (RASDS) Magenta Book (Recommended Practice) is being
finalized and has already been used successfully on a few different
mission and instrument architectures.  The Information Architecture WG
has developed a companion high level Information Architecture reference
model and definitions of active and passive information objects.  This
Reference Architecture for Space Information Management (RASIM), which
aligns well with current trends in distributed information systems, is
also being finalized and discussions are underway re how to begin work
to define component interfaces and standards.  The Security WG has
developed a  security overview & threat assessment, and is now
developing a security architecture, framework and related standards
(Key management, Crypto and Authentication Standards).  The members of
this SecWG have been collaborating with other WGs as needed.

The Space Assigned Numbers Authority (SANA) BoF has produced a draft
charter and a draft set of detailed requirements.  This is to provide a
general service, similar to the Internet IANA, for managing and
providing access to a variety of CCSDS assigned numbers.  In response
to a request from the Interagency Operations Advisory Group (IOAG) the
SEA has initiated creation of a Space Ground Interoperability
Architecture (SGIA) BoF.  this WG is to develop an end to end space /
ground cross support architecture and services catalog.  In recognition
of the emergence of several CCSDS XML based standards the SEA has
initiated an XML Standards & Guidelines (XSG) SIG .  They are
developing guidelines and standard approaches for XML schema and
namespaces.  Members include developers of the current XML schema and
other experts in the use of this technology.  Initial results are
expected early in CY 06.

Regards, Peter

On Nov 3, 2005, at 7:04 AM, Adrian J. Hooke wrote:

> Response due by November 14, 2005.
>
> In a couple of weeks, we will be launching The CCSDS Link, a monthly
> e-newsletter for distribution to the entire organization and to others
> interested in CCSDS standards development.  In addition to general
> CCSDS-related announcements, hot topics, documentation info, and other
> items of interest, we plan to include the latest news from each of the
> six Areas.
>
>  For the premier issue, we therefore ask that you please submit a
> brief paragraph regarding your Area’s activities during this fall’s
> technical meetings.  The paragraph can be as basic as a synopsis of
> what took place in your Area during the meetings or even discuss a
> particular hot issue that was addressed.  Please remember that this
> e-newsletter will be distributed to CCSDS and beyond to media contacts
> and the general technical/scientific community.  It presents a great
> opportunity for you to highlight your Area’s work to a larger
> audience. If there is a special "new and hot" item, please describe it
> separately.
>
>  Please send all submissions to Penelope Walz at
> penelope.walz at btas.com by the due date above.
>

>  Adrian J. Hooke
>  Chairman, CCSDS Engineering Steering Group (CESG)

Peter Shames
Manager - JPL Data Systems Standards Program
InterPlanetary Network and Information Systems Directorate
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, MS 301-265
California Institute of Technology
Pasadena, CA 91109 USA

Telephone: +1 818 354-5740,  Fax: +1 818 393-1333

Internet:  Peter.Shames at jpl.nasa.gov
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring
will be to arrive at where we started, and know the place for the first
time"

                      T.S. Eliot