[CESG] Support for the SEA-Time BoF

Shames, Peter M (312B) Peter.M.Shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Feb 19 17:03:46 UTC 2019

Dear CCSDS Colleagues,

We have been holding regular telecons in the Time BoF and are making very good progress towards a broad enough set of defined terms and a charter that can support progress on the proposed standards.  We have regularly had 9-11 people from different CCSDS working groups attending these bi-weekly sessions, which is excellent participation.  At this point the members are largely from the US and Europe, from three different NASA centers and two other space agencies, ESA & DLR.

We would like to ensure broad representation for the different mission classes that would benefit from time correlation and synchronization standards, so we would specifically like to encourage participation from our Asian member agencies as well.  If you have candidates who are interested in supporting this work please let me know and ask them to sign up for the SEA-Time mailing list, which is found at: http://mailman.ccsds.org, under SEA-TIME.

I produced the attached file, "Intro to CCSDS & CWE", for the new members of the Time BoF.  You may find it to be of use for anyone new to CCSDS who you bring into the organization.  It is also stored out on the web with the other Boot Camp materials:  https://cwe.ccsds.org/cesg/docs/Forms/AllItems.aspx?RootFolder=%2Fcesg%2Fdocs%2FBoot%20Camp%20Slides&FolderCTID=0x0120008F128D83E4774A40906DD60662AC3B27&View=%7B448728FC%2D9186%2D4BCF%2D80F0%2D192B39C01942%7D

A last request is that the CCSDS member agencies and CESG try and identify someone qualified to lead this SEA-Time BoF as it turns into a Working Group.  At this point I am serving as the BoF chair, but I wish to find someone with CCSDS WG experience, as recommended in the CCSDS Yellow Book, who can lead this WG in the development of the agreed set of standards.  We have robust WG participation at this point, but need a leader for the on-going effort.

If you have a suitable candidate please let me know.

Thanks, Peter Shames

Peter Shames
CCSDS Systems Engineering Area Director

Jet Propulsion Laboratory, MS 301-490
California Institute of Technology
Pasadena, CA 91109 USA

Telephone: +1 818 354-5740,  Fax: +1 818 393-6871

Internet:  Peter.M.Shames at jpl.nasa.gov

We must recognize the strong and undeniable influence that our language exerts on our ways of thinking and, in fact, delimits the abstract space in which we can formulate - give form to - our thoughts.

Niklaus Wirth