[CESG] CESG polls stucked with ADs/DADs conditions

Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int
Thu Sep 7 07:11:24 UTC 2017

Peter,
        No way we can agree on this item.
Gian Paolo

From:   "Shames, Peter M (312B)" <peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov>
To:     "Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int" <Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int>
Cc:     "Bernard L. Edwards" <Bernard.L.Edwards at nasa.gov>, "CCSDS CESG --"
<cesg at mailman.ccsds.org>, "Lee, Dennis K (332G)"
<dennis.k.lee at jpl.nasa.gov>, "Enrico.Vassallo at esa.int"
<Enrico.Vassallo at esa.int>, "Andrews, Kenneth S (332B)"
<kenneth.s.andrews at jpl.nasa.gov>, "Klaus-Juergen.Schulz at esa.int"
<Klaus-Juergen.Schulz at esa.int>, "Massimo.Bertinelli at esa.int"
<Massimo.Bertinelli at esa.int>, "Nestor.Peccia at esa.int"
<Nestor.Peccia at esa.int>, "Tai, Wallace S (9000)"
<wallace.s.tai at jpl.nasa.gov>
Date:   06/09/2017 17:31
Subject:        Re: [CESG] CESG polls stucked with ADs/DADs conditions

Gippo,

Rules is rules.  To quote from CCSDS Organization and Processes, Sec B1.2,
pg b-2-3:

B1.2 RECOMMENDED STANDARD BRANCH
Documents on the Recommended Standard branch of the Normative Track are as
follows: a) CCSDS Proposed Draft Recommended Standard (White Book)
…
A Proposed Draft Recommended Standard should have no known technical
omissions with respect to the requirements placed upon it. However, this
requirement may be waived by the CESG to allow a specification to advance
to the Proposed Draft Recommended Standard state when it is considered to
be useful and necessary (and timely) even with known technical omissions.

The document itself says that it is incomplete.  And there can be no great
urgency in publishing it as is, or without the inclusion of a VCM approach
that works for all CCSDS codes and modulations, because the SCCC and DVB,
with their different, existing, closed, approaches, are already published.

I am really puzzled by some of your statements.  This is not about
penalizing someone, or some group; nor about one agency vs another.  This
is about the quality of CCSDS documents and our roles, as WG chairs and
Area Directors in ensuring the quality of those documents.  It is a poor
enough situation that this incomplete document has taken up this much CESG
time.  I would in no way support also wasting agency time in reviewing a
document that is stated to be incomplete.  That violates our principles
and is a waste of resources.

Best regards, Peter