[CESG] Opinion on DAI WG Architecture

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Apr 21 17:08:30 UTC 2017

Dear Nestor and Mario,

As requested, Roger Thompson and I have completed our in-depth analysis of the proposed DAI conceptual archive architecture.  The results of that analysis are in the attached presentation.  These materials have also been reviewed with the rest of the members of the SEA SAWG that has been working on the MOIMS and SOIS application and support architecture and it has their concurrence.

The short summary of our analysis is that we think that there is potential merit in developing some sort of common archive architecture, but that it is in need of a lot more work, even at a conceptual level, before it should be allowed to proceed.  There are many technical issues identified in the analysis.  There are also a number of practical issues relating to the breadth of scope, the nature of the approach that is implied, and the implications of these on being able to develop a viable set of standards.  We also find that they have not taken into consideration relevant prior work in both MOIMS and SEA that should be considered.

Please let us know how you wish to proceed.  Do you want to have a CESG discussion of this, as would be usual for a WG charter change, or do you intend to pass this analysis directly back to the CMC?

Best regards, Peter and Roger