[CESG] Russian Concept Paper: "Formation of the generalized data, using data which are received down diverse channels"

Hooke, Adrian J (9000) adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Sep 18 18:13:00 EDT 2012

Ø  What do you see as the business case here?

Weak. From what I have gleaned they seem to view this as a way to marshal multi-Agency network resources to cover critical mission phases in a standardized way (think launch - they have big downrange gaps) or spacecraft failures (think Phobos Grunt and the heroic efforts by ESA and NASA to get some spacecraft data). However, their real business case may for them to demonstrate some original leadership in CCSDS. One possibility would be to conclude that this kind of single-agency initiative should by definition start out on the orange Experimental track; that way they could claim the prestige of leading a WG, with other Agencies passively watching the scope of the proposed development.

I have also been thinking about kicking this whole proposal over the transom to the IOAG and asking them if they can see a business case. After all, that's what the IOAG is supposed to do and it fits their staffing and overall ground network mentality well. What do you folks think about that as a "way out" for us?

///a