[CESG] FW: New standard development

Hooke, Adrian J (9000) adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 1 12:25:14 EST 2012

From: Hooke, Adrian J (9000)
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 9:24 AM
To: mutafyan at tsniimash.ru
Cc: Hooke, Adrian J (9000); Nestor.Peccia at esa.int
Subject: RE: New standard development

Dear Alexey: I circulated the proposal to several Area Directors and all of them are having trouble with understanding exactly what is being proposed. General comments were:

1.      The paper is too concise and it is very hard to understand the scope of the proposal.

2.      It is not clear what problem (mission scenario) the proposal is trying to solve and why standardization would be needed  for cross support.

3.      The proposal deals with exploiting diversity in its various forms (antenna, polarization, frequency, time diversities) to improve the quality of the received data. However the proposal is at such a high level that even the CCSDS RFM, C&S and SLP WG Chairs were not able to understand to which WG it is addressed. On one side it looks as it is a RFM problem but, at the same time, there are statements leading to data flow (frame?) reconstruction after decoding. In other words, from a certain point of view it seems it is appropriate for RFM but from some sentences it looks as like it will involve some uppers layers including coding and perhaps protocol.

4.      The proposed method(s) for exploiting diversity are not at all clear

I wonder if you could perhaps please try to re-structure and expand the proposal to take the above comments into account? Alternatively, it may be better for Russia to present some more detailed work in Darmstadt (providing  an updated paper input in advance) such that face-to-face and interactive questions can help to clarify what is proposed.

Best regards

Adrian

Adrian J. Hooke
Chairman, CCSDS Engineering Steering Group

+++++++++