[CESG] Re: "Consensus technical agreement of the participating CCSDS Member Agencies"

Eduardo W. Bergamini e.w.bergamini at uol.com.br
Wed Feb 1 20:08:10 EST 2012

Dear Adrian,

Thank you for your pondered comments in your attached message. In my
opinion, an objective result from the very intensive exchange of related
e-mails you were involved with in the last three days or so, and that I could
follow up in Cc. due to my natural involvement with ISO TC20/SC13
Subcommittee.

Therefore, as a natural testimony I could very much appreciate your
consistent and remarkably pondered, well-balanced and prudent responses
to what I consider to have been an unfair, unprecise, unbalanced and
gratuitous aggressiveness in the series of addressings you received, clearly
observable in a notable segment of the mentioned correspondence.

In consideration to your questioning:

My question to you - and the CMC - is as follows: should it be a requirement that any RID submitted from a non-Agency source must come from an organization that has declared an affiliation with CCSDS, either as an Associate or as a Liaison?

In my position, I wish to express my opinion under the five following points,
which I also submit for consideration by the CCSDS-CMC, for discussion
and for a desirable, conclusive decision and resulting ruling, in the best
possible, short term:

1. CCSDS is sovereign to develop Recommendations that are decided to be
tackled, as a result of the consensus that the Committee is used practice,
in a combined effort at technical and mangement levels. Not to mention its
ties with IOAG, which also play an important role in this process.

2. Since its inception, ISO TC20/SC13 Subcommittee is authtorized before
ISO to act under the Cover Sheet process with the CCSDS originated
publications, as applicable.

3. I would understand that an -external- liaison member is, in principle,
naturally welcome to join the regular, consensus based, review process of
a product under development by a CCSDS WG to which he/she in his/her
liaison role is associated to as a, at least, potential contributor, limited
to the liaison person, him or herself.

4. Although I am not aware at the moment on the details of the CCSDS
"modus-operandi" in respect to Associates, I see, in principle, no limitation
that would preclude one or more Associates to contribute in the review
process of a CCSDS WG -specific- (therefore, case-by-case) product,
should it or them be formaly invited, under clear pre-established conditions,
by CCSDS, to do so. If a formal invitation is circumvented in such a case,
it may disturb in different degrees of perturbation, the internal WG product
development process. Such a formal, external participation would have to
be approved by CCSDS CMC.

5. Under the same principle of the immediately previous item,  I see, in
principle, no limitation that would preclude that CCSDS & ISO TC20/SC13
may issue a combined MOU or like, with an ISO standardization body,
under clear pre-established conditions by CCSDS, that would state a
formal invitation (and vice-versa, from/) to the external body, for a
contribution to the review process of a CCSDS WG -specific- (case-by-
case) product. Again, if a formal invitation of this type is circumvented,
under premises of an informal cooperation, it may disturb in different
degrees of perturbation, the internal WG product development process.
Such a formal, external participation would have to be approved by CCSDS
CMC and endorsed by ISO TC20/SC13.

Thanmk you for your contribution to this pendence.

With my best regards,
Eduardo

Cc.
- CCSDS Management Council (CMC)
- David S. Berry, Chairman CCSDS/CESG/MOIMS-NAV WG