[CESG] Interoperability testing

Shames, Peter M (313B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Dec 11 13:14:58 EST 2012

I thing that Gippo has stated it quite correctly, with some minor adjustments.

  1.  The assumption in SDLS is that the user is provided with the means to secure (authenticate, encrypt, or both) the CONTENTS of the space data link frames.  The frame headers are in the clear and most of the features of the service are "managed", which means that the frame structures remain essentially untouched.
  2.  This security mechanisms is to be appliced by the user in the MOC and verified / removed by the user in their spacecraft, it is opaque to the ground station which just treats these as normal frame transfers (a feature of this approach).
  3.  The SLE / CSTS interfaces used to transfer data from the MOC to the ground station are separatekly secured, only authorizaed users (typically at known locations) are permited to establish SLE conections and send data.
  4.  There is no additional network layer encryption for the terrestrial portion of the SLE / CSTS link, but this could be applied if needed.  One effect of this is that traffic analysis can be performed, but the data contents is still secured.
  5.  Our usual rules are that the interoperability testing only has to be performed at the affected layer.  In this case that means to me that we need to demonstrate that secured data frame contents can be encrypted / authenticated , inserted in a frame, transferred over a (simulated) link and then extracted from the frame and de-crypted / authenticated.  I do not believe that we need to demonstrate that this can be transmitted via SLE, but adding that would be an additional level of verification.

Regards, Peter