[Secretariat] [CESG] PICS resolution

Thomas Gannett tomg at aiaa.org
Fri Mar 18 10:00:19 EST 2011

FWI:  The Fall 2008 resolution was not implemented because it was
problematic: the "P" in PICS stands for Protocol, and trying to force
conformance statements for non-protocols into the PICS mold ranges
from difficult to impossible.  At the June 2010 Brazil meeting the
requirement was narrowed to apply only to Blue Books defining
protocols, and the Brazil resolution effectively supersedes the
earlier resolution:

CMC-R-2010-06-010: CMC resolves that if a Blue Book includes a
protocol it shall include PICS Proforma as a normative annex.

The need for some sort of conformance statements for non-protocols
was acknowledged, but they may need to be handled on a case-by-case
basis.  Currently a formal requirement for non-protocol conformance
statements does not really exist.

At 11:22 AM 3/8/2011, Hooke, Adrian J (9000) wrote:
>Peter: Mike has drawn my attention to the following CESG Resolution
>from the Fall 2008 meeting in Berlin:
>
>The CESG resolves that all new Blue Books will be required to have a
>Protocol Implementation Conformance Statement (PICS) included as a
>normative Annex. A waiver process shall be provided in cases where
>creating of the PICS is not feasible. [Pink Sheets / Reconfirmations
>of existing  Blue Books will generally be exempted].
>
>This apparently did not get enacted. It sounds like a proper role
>for the SEA would be to formulate a proposal (including Procedures
>Manual text) for vote by the CESG, after which we will send it
>(late) to the CMC. Could you please handle this?
>
>Best regards
>Adrian

Thomas Gannett
+1 410 793 7190