[CESG] PICS text in A02.1-Y-2.1d

Kearney, Mike W. (MSFC-EO01) mike.kearney at nasa.gov
Thu Jul 28 11:54:24 EDT 2011

Ø  CESG only approved the use of PICS for comms protocols

That statement does not mean to me that PICS-Proforma are not allowed for others.  There are many possible documentation techniques and features.  If management does not explicitly require or exclude something, then it is OK for a WG to use whatever works best for their objectives.

It appears that the CMC needs to be more clear so that the CESG will understand.  I can clarify this for the CESG by asking for a CMC poll on making PICS-Proforma optional for non-Protocols.  Would that help?

Ø  The CESG discussions during last meeting were not favouring the use of PICS for XTCE. It was very complicated and cumbersome (and more than 100 pages long)

If the problem with the XTCE PICS is that it was a poor quality PICS, that is a different problem, and entirely within the realm of the CESG to decide on.  In that case, the instructions to the WG should be to fix their PICS-Proforma with a correct one.  Not "PICS-Proforma are not allowed for you".

Final question:  Shall I ask for a CMC Poll to clarify whether the CMC resolution to require PICS-Proforma for protocols was also intended to outlaw PICS-Proforma for non-Protocols?

If such a poll is needed, we should do it before the next CESG telecon.

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney
NASA MSFC EO-01
256-544-2029