[CESG] PICS text in A02.1-Y-2.1d

Kearney, Mike W. (MSFC-EO01) mike.kearney at nasa.gov
Thu Jul 28 11:21:22 EDT 2011

This is a different question/topic from Adrian's reply earlier.

Adrian's comments, Nestor's comments, and the text of the book say that Protocols are required to have a PICS-Proforma.  It *does not say* that other CCSDS documents are *not allowed* to have PICS-Proforma.  The intention  of the CMC resolution was that, as a minimum, Protocols require PICS-Proforma.  By not addressing non-Protocols, that means that PICS-Proforma are optional for them.  They are not outlawed.

However, you and Mario (as I understand it) have told the XTCE workers that they are not allowed to have a PICS-Proforma, even though their WG level assessment is that they really need a PICS-Proforma to fix the problem they have with options in the OMG's XTCE document.

I think that's wrong.  If a Working Group can use PICS-Proforma as an advantage in their documents, they should be allowed to use it.  Regardless of protocol or book color.  The only rule is that Protocols absolutely require PICS-Proforma.  For other documents it should be optional.  And since the text of the document doesn't address PICS-Proforma for non-protocols, I think that policy is supported by the procedures.

Ø  we deferred the decision to use ICS (not PICS) until Boulder because more analysis is needed.

I don't think XTCE can wait until Boulder, stopping their work until then.  The option for non-Protocol PICS-Proforma needs to be agreed to by email or at the latest in a CESG telecon before Boulder.  And I think the existing procedures draft allows it, so why is further analysis required?

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney
NASA MSFC EO-01
256-544-2029