[CESG] PICS text in A02.1-Y-2.1d

Nestor.Peccia at esa.int Nestor.Peccia at esa.int
Thu Jul 28 04:05:37 EDT 2011

Peter

ESA has analyzed the modifications proposed by you, and has the following
comments

Annex B.2.1, a, last paragraph.
Blue Books defining protocols must include a Protocol Implementation
Conformance Statement (PICS) proforma as a normative annex
To be replaced by
Blue Books defining communications protocols must include a Protocol
Implementation Conformance Statement (PICS) proforma as a normative annex

Annex F, A.1 2nd paragraph
ESA's comment is on the words "terse style" to document what is mandatory
and what is optional.
CCSDS Publication Manual is clear on that
The following conventions apply for the normative specifications in this
Recommended Standard:
a) the words ?shall? and ?must? imply a binding and verifiable
specification;
b) the word ?should? implies an optional, but desirable, specification;
c) the word ?may? implies an optional specification;
d) the words ?is?, ?are?, and ?will? imply statements of fact.
NOTE ? These conventions do not imply constraints on diction in text that
is clearly informative in nature.
We suggest to reference the Publication Manual for mandatory / optional
specs instead to leave to every book-captain his/her  free interpretation
of what "terse style" means

Let us know your views. Perhaps we can save the telecon planned for next
week.

ciao
nestor