[Cesg-all] CFDPv1 status update

Scott, Keith L. kscott at mitre.org
Tue Jul 14 13:50:44 UTC 2015

My apologies that Scott / Rick beat me to the actual answer…

There’s a lot of discussion in the CESG about ‘reference implementations’; in particular who might produce / host / verify such things, whether an agency would WANT to make their flight code widely available (here’s where my vulnerabilities are!), how to indemnify the producers / distributers, etc.  I concur that automated regression test suites for the interoperability tests would be great to have (and useful for updates, as you mention), but the current requirement is only for a test report that essentially says ‘yes, we tested two independent implementations and they interoperated’.

For LTP I did the interoperability test as a semi-automated test suite, and could presumably reconstitute it if we updated the LTP spec.  Much of the BP testing was done by hand, unfortunately.

If CCSDS were responsible for actually producing software I think it’d be a very different story, but the standards folks are somewhat disconnected from the implementation folks (at least on the NASA side, I suspect in the other agencies as well).  That gap is actually closing a bit at least on the NASA side with some more participation from the flight software folks at Goddard, which seems to be a good thing.

—keith