[Cesg-all] RE : [CMC] Charter Development Template For Comments

Soula Jean-Marc jean-marc.soula at cnes.fr
Sat Apr 14 09:48:04 EDT 2007

Hi Craig,

Sorry for this late reply.

I have more or less the same comments I already made at the CMC in Cold Springs :
- I agree that the idea of a same template for all WG's may simplify and improve the reporting to the CESG and CMC,
- I'm still with the impression that there is a complete disconnect between the chartering of a WG, the projects schedule and the allocation of resources

To fully understand what is proposed with this template concerning resources, I would need that the following is clarified:
- what is the workflow of decisions from the drafting of a charter by a BOF through the approval of the charter and the allocation of resources by the CMC ?
- are the resources allocated per WG or per project ?

You know my concern about the current version of the CCSDS procedures that stipulate that it is in the BOF taht the resources for the WG should be secured but also indicate that it is the responsibility of the CMC to provide resources to the CCSDS. I remain in favour of a call for participations at the time of chartering a news WG so that the CMC members who were not aware of a BOF or were not consulted for participation may formally answer and indicate the level of their contribution, from participant to a project, to project leader or to chair / co-chair responsibility.

These comments as inputs for discussion at the next CMC.

Best regards

Jean-Marc Soula
CNES - DCT/OP/C-STA
Advisor, GN Operations