[Sis-dtn] IPN services registry questions

Sanchez Net, Marc (US 332H) marc.sanchez.net at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Apr 17 18:27:50 UTC 2023

My thoughts below in blue

Thanks,

Marc Sanchez Net (332H)

Telecommunications Engineer

Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Cell: (617) 953-7977 | Email: marc.sanchez.net at jpl.nasa.gov<mailto:marc.sanchez.net at jpl.nasa.gov>

-----Original Message-----

From: SIS-DTN <sis-dtn-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org<mailto:sis-dtn-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org>> On Behalf Of Birrane, Edward J. via SIS-DTN

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2023 7:08 AM

To: sis-dtn at mailman.ccsds.org<mailto:sis-dtn at mailman.ccsds.org>

Subject: [EXTERNAL] [Sis-dtn] IPN services registry questions

In the IPN scheme existing IANA registries allocate service number range 66-1023 to SANA, which managed these services at https://urldefense.us/v3/__https://sanaregistry.org/r/bp_cbhe_service_numbers/__;!!PvBDto6Hs4WbVuu7!KFTCIDiMyEQbFAKoyStoiJovyTUre4leWTpFcIo61CPaS1qKnmnFDyi8o6aiWc5XBw2vPrwuJ30QBwaZ7g2k6i4NzgrfXQg$<https://urldefense.us/v3/__https:/sanaregistry.org/r/bp_cbhe_service_numbers/__;!!PvBDto6Hs4WbVuu7!KFTCIDiMyEQbFAKoyStoiJovyTUre4leWTpFcIo61CPaS1qKnmnFDyi8o6aiWc5XBw2vPrwuJ30QBwaZ7g2k6i4NzgrfXQg$> .

Currently there are 2 entries in that registry, both related to CFDP.

A few questions:

- Is there a reason for this range (up to 1023)? That number doesn't have special meaning in CBOR encoding, so I assume this is beneficial for some other kind of bitpacking? I think so. In the SDNV format used in BPv6 lower numbers are encoded with less bits. Obviously that is no longer a concern in BPv7.

- Are BP/DTN related services for CCSDS so specific that we need a service number range dedicated to SANA? Not today in ops, but probably yes in the future with applications like video/audio streaming, last-hop data, real-time telemetry streams, immediate vs. normal commands, etc.

- Are there services that are considered only specific to BPv6 and not BPv7?

Not sure, but I would not preclude it. That said, I don’t think missions will need to think about this too much in the future if they move to BPv7.

-Ed

---

Edward J. Birrane, III, Ph.D. (he/him/his) Chief Engineer, Space Constellation Networking Supervisor, Embedded Applications Group Space Exploration Sector Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory

(W) 443-778-7423 / (F) 443-228-3839

SIS-DTN at mailman.ccsds.org<mailto:SIS-DTN at mailman.ccsds.org>

https://urldefense.us/v3/__https://mailman.ccsds.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sis-dtn__;!!PvBDto6Hs4WbVuu7!KFTCIDiMyEQbFAKoyStoiJovyTUre4leWTpFcIo61CPaS1qKnmnFDyi8o6aiWc5XBw2vPrwuJ30QBwaZ7g2k6i4NXT7xfZM$<https://urldefense.us/v3/__https:/mailman.ccsds.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sis-dtn__;!!PvBDto6Hs4WbVuu7!KFTCIDiMyEQbFAKoyStoiJovyTUre4leWTpFcIo61CPaS1qKnmnFDyi8o6aiWc5XBw2vPrwuJ30QBwaZ7g2k6i4NXT7xfZM$>