[Sois-tcoa] [Sois-tcons] RE: reference model (2 levels ofSOIS-compliance)

Richard Schnurr Rick.Schnurr at nasa.gov
Wed Mar 9 09:38:36 EST 2005

Hi Keith,

Yes,  Thus the idea put forward by Greg that IP could be carried in one of
the TCONS services fits into your model.  In reality a spacecraft might
even segment IP traffic between the three services depending on the
requirements.  For example on one S/C UDP might be delivered using reliable
unscheduled service while on another UDP might be delivered using the
scheduled service.  Sorting by ports to different services depending on
there time criticality would be another way to work it.  This is becoming
less important with 100-200 Mbps links but in a few years we might fill
them up.

I understand that this might generate more overhead in an implementation
unless the underlying network PDU for TCONS can be made to "correspond"
with the IP/UDP/TCP PDU.  Ultimately this is what I will propose.  IE there
is some defined mapping between TCONS PDU's and IP PDU's.   This implies a
mapping between the 16 bit OSA and ODA address space and IP address
space.  That the TCONS ports map to IP ports and that any missing bits for
TCP or UDP can at least be made up or generated on the fly from the TCONS PDU.

We have not gotten to this level of detail yet but personally I think a
seemless interface to IP for TCONS is a requirement - if for no other
reason that to support ground testing.

Rick

At 06:35 PM 3/8/2005, Keith Scott wrote:
>My apologies, I thought the sub-network dependent scheduler was actually in
>OBL and the -independent part was in TCONS.  I don't think that materially
>affects the previous discussion (desire for an agreed-upon set of timing
>requirements, 'system config' that defines loading for tests, etc.)
>
>If one were to try to design a system that could support TCONS and something
>else, it would require (I think) that the lower-level interface of the TCONS
>networking layer (the upper layer of the sub-network independent
>(convergence?) function) be a well-defined interface that could support
>multiple network layers.  That scheduler is going to have to have _some_
>interface to the rest of TCONS.  If one could drop best-effort input into
>(each) OBL data link (into the 'slots' not used by TCONS time-critical
>traffic), then IP could run side-by-side with TCONS.
>
>                 --keith

Richard G Schnurr Jr
Chief Architect
Electrical Systems Center
Applied Engineering and Technology Directorate
NASA GSFC Code 560.0
Greenbelt MD 20771

(301)-286-1852