[Sois-tcoa] [Sois-tcons] RE: reference model (2 levels ofSOIS-compliance)

Richard Schnurr Rick.Schnurr at nasa.gov
Tue Mar 8 17:57:52 EST 2005

Hi All,

Don't know it this thread is dead  but I am sending out the newly minted
OBL executive summary to fuel more discussion.

Basically Greg is correct the OBL simply provides a nomalized packet
delivery service with a normalized address space, MTU and link
reliability.  The MTU is supported by Fragmentation when necessary.  Link
reliability is bus dependent: so some normalization is required.

OBL has no schedule since many of the underlying bus do not have
schedules.  In reality the 1553 bus schedule can be done by the HW or the
real time operating system.

The work for OBL will now be to get prototypes moving for the supported bus
to support the specified service interface.

Keith you seemed to be under the impression the OBL would provide some
unifying force.  In reality OBL uses the TCONS OSA, ODA 16 bit address
scheme.   If people decided that 32 bit IPv4 addresses were better that
would be OK.  The real work for OBL is to convert some uniform address into
the address class and "next hop" address for use by the underlying Data Link.

Personally you know that I am fond of IP and am not fond of reinventing the
wheel but I do agree with Greg that if IP is used we will need some better
stacks.  This will not be hard since most stacks are built to multi-user
environments where they are trying to stay out of the way as opposed to a
real time environment where "network" activity drives the show.

In any event please provide comments and if you feel that OBL is not
providing the correct functionality let me know.

Cheers,
Rick

PS Would have been fun to be in the the thread, in real time, but I was
away on vacation.