[Sois-tcons] RE: [Sois-tcoa] Re: Status of SOIS?

Steve Parkes sparkes at computing.dundee.ac.uk
Wed Jun 15 06:33:16 EDT 2005

Dear Adrian,

I am sure that we all have the same goal in mind - to successfully complete
the work of the SOIS group and to get the CCSDS SOIS standards accepted and
used on international space missions. Further I am sure that your email to
Patrick is intended to offer help to the people working within the SOIS
working groups.

Patrick and Chris have both urged on the work of the SOIS working groups and
have conducted an extensive review of progress. A key issue was the ACTUAL
resources being made available for the SOIS work. I assume that this is what
you email referred when mentioning additional resources. The situation for
the TCONS working group chair was that in 2004 the only funding available
was for attending the two CCSDS meetings. My work only progressed outside of
the meetings because I was prepared to give up a significant amount of
annual leave to take the work of the TCONS group forward. This clearly was
not a sustainable position and Patrick has now managed to secure ESA funding
for my work. This funding was signed off in April 2005 and has made a major
difference to the time that I can spend on the SOIS activities. The TCONS
and OBL team now I believe have the appropriate level of funding needed to
do the work required by CCSDS. It would be rather ironic if you recommended
stopping the work of SOIS once this funding was finally in place.

The TCONS and OBL groups made an exceptional amount of progress in the CCSDS
meeting in Athens, the culmination of learning about and fusing different
viewpoints from different areas of expertise over the past couple of years.
We have at last a consistent architecture that meets, we believe, the
broader needs of SIS and the needs of spacecraft software and hardware
engineers. Currently we are in the process of writing this up in the form of
a white paper for broader review. As I am sure you can understand we want to
make sure that the TCONS/OBL working group agree on this document before we
send it out for any further review. We will then welcome comments and take
into consideration any necessary modification of the TCONS/OBL architecture.
At the same time we are working on the Service Interface Specification Red
Books and expect to have drafts for internal review soon.

Some points that you could help on are:

1.	Could you please let me know the formal review procedures for CCSDS
documents. We want to have them reviewed by SIS and possibly other groups
that you recommend before sending them out for interagency review. Is this
normal? If not how would you suggest that we proceed? I would very much
welcome an idiot's guide to CCSDS review procedures as everyone that I have
asked seems to have a different perspective.
2.	The CCSDS logos etc have changed and we have had some problems with
the template documents that we have been using in the past. Is there a new
CCSDS white, green and red book template available? If so could you please
let me know where I can get them from?
3.	Could you please arrange a joint SOIS / SIS meeting for the next
CCSDS meeting so that we can present our architecture and the work done. I
would be happy to present this to a wider CCSDS audience I you felt that it
would be useful.

I can assure you that the TCONS and OBL teams are fully committed to
completing their SOIS work as soon as possible. Most importantly we are
committed to making sure that the recommendations that we produce are worthy
of CCSDS and will be used by future space missions.

Regards

Steve

Steve Parkes

Space Technology Centre