[Sois-tcons] RE: Updated version of TCONS Red book on CWE

Steve Parkes sparkes at computing.dundee.ac.uk
Mon Aug 29 11:58:06 EDT 2005

Keith,

The consensus in Athens was that "Time Critical" only makes sense over a
single sub-network and also that we wanted to support the SIS view of the
world (or maybe universe) and support TCP/IP etc. We did not believe that
TCP/IP would be able to provide appropriate time critical behaviour. The
focus thus was on sorting out an appropriate architecture, formulating
suitable QoS mechanisms and then providing the service interfaces. We are
about half way through this at the moment and are currently trying to sort
out a consistent QoS approach that can be applied to (almost) any underlying
bus/sub-network.

For onboard applications we also thought that TCP/IP etc may not be the
final word and that we should provide mechanisms for handling other
protocols as well. This includes using the Intra-Network layer directly from
TCOAS and other applications.

The socket API approach was considered as the TCONS interface and is
certainly very attractive if only TCP/IP etc is being used. With support for
other protocols being considered too the socket API was not possible and Max
Ciccone is currently working on a draft red book for the Inter-Network
Service Interface.

I think that the rest of your interpretation is correct.

We are happy for SIS to take on the TCP/IP side of the standard definition.
In fact what we would like to do is to simply call up an existing CCSDS
standard. This would then be a box within TCONS rather than the full
transport and network layer, because we want to be able to handle other
onboard transport and network protocols.

As I have said our current focus is on the architecture and QoS approach.
The primary aim of our meetings in Atlanta is to get this finalised and out
for review. We would also like to discuss the architecture (and QoS) with
SIS so that our views of the universe can converge, and also to make a start
on some of the other red books that we have on our list. Can we arrange a
meeting with SIS to discuss the architecture?

Regards

Steve

Steve Parkes
Space Technology Centre