[Sois-tcons] RE: SOIS TCONS

c.plummer at skynet.be c.plummer at skynet.be
Wed Apr 6 11:05:59 EDT 2005

....is the right answer!   Many thanks for this Jane, it is exactly what we need.

Fellas,

Here's my 2 cents......
When I started with the TCONS WG, I didn't know much (actually nil) aboutnetworks nor did I have a great desire to learn the details of all theprotocols.  However, as a software systems engineer, I was drawn tothe fact that TCONS was trying to provide a GENERIC INTERFACE to theunderlying busses, which makes my life as an applications developer somuch easier.  To me, TCONS abstracted the differences among thedifferent protocols and busses, and allowed me to write PORTABLEsoftware.  That translates into less risk, cost, and schedule, wordsthat missions understand.  I think Steve's bullet #3 hits the nailon the head.  I've been espousing these points to missions and theyare buying into it.  We (software people) are tired of rewritingsoftware for the same hardware, never mind different hardware, becauseeveryone wants to do it \"their way\".  IF, like Dai said,there was someplace to go that standardized this whole mush of stuff,many would jump on the bandwagon.  The SOIS acronym !
 is no
longer astrange one to software people here in my branch that are doing MISSIONwork.  No one cares about the underlying protocols so much as thefact that there's a well-defined interface regardless of the underlyingbus.

Now for the technical 2 cents......we did our Ethernet prototype usingthat much beleaguered UDP/IP both for guaranteed and scheduledservice.  Of course this prototype didn't have the APIs implemented,but I don't think it would be a stretch to update. We can/should discussthe prototype, the resulting data, and the \"reliable UDP\" inAthens. My point is that we ran what we functionally thought was a TCONSarchitecture using that darned IP protocol, and found it to be quitestraightforward.  I expect the same for SpaceWire.
Perhaps we should just say we can't accommodate ALL busprotocols......and stop wasting 80% of our time on 20% of theproblem.  Like TM/TC, is doesn't fit every scenario, but is used forat least 90% of our data.  The other 10% has to be addressed eachmission, but that's a hell of a lot better than rewriting for 50% or moreeach mission.

And so it goes.
Jane