[Sois-tcons] TCONS Telecon next week

Steve Parkes sparkes at computing.dundee.ac.uk
Sat May 8 09:21:01 EDT 2004

Dear Patrick, TCONS members,

My view on the work plan for TCONS is that we have to get everyone moving in
the same direction first and then agree on and document the TCONS view of
SOIS architecture. Then we need to present this to the SIS group so that we
get the broader CCSDS people on our side and stop having to swim upstream
all the time. Finally we can start to document the TCONS services.

So my suggestion for the work on Monday and Tuesday is:

Review the requirements, particularly time critical requirements, and put a
few slides together about this, may be with some typical/extreme examples.

Have a presentation and discussion about GSFC recent work and the use of LLC
for the data-link layer retry mechansim. Again a few slides summarising this
would be useful.

This could be followed by a presentation and discussion about the work that
has been done at ESA recently with the aim of linking this back to the time
critical requirements and looking for common threads with the GFSC work.

On Wednesday we could then look at bringing this all together and agreeing
the philosophy and architectural approach for TCONS. The aim will be to come
to a concensus and to document this in the form of a powerpoint presentation
that we can take to the SIS meeting.

On Thursday we will provide a unified, agreed architecure to SIS and make
sure that it meets their needs and that they can see why thing have to be
done the way that we suggest. Any tweaks will be agreed and documented at
this meeting by adjusting the slides so that we can form a broader concensus
and have wider support for our work.

On Friday the aim will be to push the architecture forward and to develop
the service definitions in broad outline form (slides).

Over the week end anyone who is around can then help to write the service
definitions in the form of some red books.

A lot of prototyping work has been done and a lot of thinking has been done
by everyone in TCONS, we need to crystalise this effort over the weekend and
this will need everyone to work towards that goal. This is not an ESA vs
NASA, or JPL vs Goddard, or academia vs industry scrum it is a CCSDS team
activity. I know that we have some of the best people available in the world
in the TCONS group, let's prove it and move TCONS forward.

Regards

Steve