FW: [Sois-tcoa] Time Access Service

Scott Burleigh Scott.Burleigh at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue May 10 18:32:33 EDT 2005

My comments on the original Red Book (somewhat belated) are nearly all
editorial; I think the sense of the document is fine.

In 1.1, for the sake of consistency I think I would change "a local copy"
to "access to a local source".  And in 1.2 I would say "Annex 1 describes
how local time sources are implemented and how the master onboard time
source is usually implemented in current spacecraft".

In Figure 1, I would change the word "Central" to "Master" in the label for
the middle box.

The first paragraph of 2.2 seems redundant with the last paragraph of 2.1;
any way to remedy this?

I'm a little concerned about the two optional service primitives: if
"optional" means an implementer can choose to omit one or both, doesn't
this defeat the purpose of the Recommendation?

In the second paragraph of 3.1.3, I think the term "frequency" should be
replaced by "period" for consistency with the specification of the
primitive (3.3.4).  Also, I think the word "issued" needs to be added to
the end of the first sentence.

In the last paragraph of 3.3.6, to relate back to 1.3.2, I would insert the
word "bound" after "error" in the last paragraph.

In section 3.4, I would remove both of the Frequencies and the Drift.  They
are not mentioned anywhere else in the standard, so none of the service
primitives depend on them.  This suggests to me that they are purely an
implementation matter and therefore should not be in the service spec.

Scott