[Sois-tcoa] File Transfer Service

Stuart Fowell Stuart.Fowell at scisys.ltd.uk
Tue Apr 26 07:10:33 EDT 2005

Dear all,

One of the actions from the Athens meeting was to determine the goal of
the File Transfer Service by 1st May. So here's my kick-off of the
discussion:

>From my perspective, I see little scope at the moment for transfer of
files between file stores on-board a spacecraft. How many different file
stores are there?

However, there is the need for standardised distributed access by
applications to some form of persistent storage. This is more than just
a file store, as there are other mechanisms, e.g. FIFO/LIFO structures,
linked lists (including packet stores), File Management System (FMS) for
hierarchical and flat file stores, tape recorder and private partitions
(user-defined format).

FYI: There are two parallel studies, funded by ESA, looking into this.
Their "objectives of the project are to define a Data Management
Software architecture suitable to support all the payload and platform
requirements in terms of data storage access for any type of mission,
make the architecture independent from the mass memory technology and
compatible with the COTS software used. In order to be able to cope with
a wide range of project requirements, the system must be configurable
and sizeable in term of capacity, data-rate organisation, interfaces and
Mass Memory technology used. It also have to be reconfigurable in-flight
in order to fulfil mission requirements in terms of availability,
maintainability. Finally, optimisation of its power consumption is
mandatory for future interplanetary missions as well as small satellite
applications."
So I propose that we should set a goal of providing a Persistent Store
Access Service. This can be used as a building block for more
format-specific services such as a File Access and Management Service,
for which the file store requirements in CFDP provide a starting point.

Stuart