[Sois-tcoa] RE: SOIS Time Distribution Service

Chris Plummer c.plummer at skynet.be
Mon Nov 29 18:27:57 EST 2004

Hi Keith,

It gets my vote with a couple of provisos:

Firstly, let's keep well away from the dreaded "API" terminology. We are all
grown ups here and can handle abstraction! (-Oh boy....am I going to regret
saying that). Instead let's stick with an abstract service interface
definition in true ISO 7498 style.

Secondly, I'm sure that an NTP-like protocol is the right way to go and that
we should concentrate our initial efforts in this direction, but we must
also bear in mind that this kind of service is often provided in hardware.
Therefore, we must be careful that we do not preclude the use of different
mechanisms to provide the service.

I fully agree that a high accuracy time service is not part of the charter.
There will always be cases where one payload or system onboard the
spacecraft needs a high accuracy time service, but these are the minority.
Most applications will want a modest accuracy, wall-clock type time service,
and these are the applications we, SOIS, should cater for.

Finally, sincere apologies on the part of Patrick and myself that no-one
showed up for the time distribution session. We had had to dynamically
re-shuffle the agenda to cater for some of the joint meetings and could not
get word of this to you. We will endeavour to do better next time!

Cheers,
       Chris.