[Sois-tcoa] RE: SOIS Time Distribution Service

Keith Scott kscott at mitre.org
Tue Nov 30 16:07:45 EST 2004

Jane,

Point taken; I don't know how many missions will require high-fidelity time
synchronization between different things (possibly exceedingly
small/hardware only) on the S/C.  I do think that if we are to accomplish a
general time distribution mechanism that can function between different
processors, it probably won't have the one-cycle accuracy that you'd get
with a square wave.  Depending on how the high-fidelity time is distributed,
and how widely on board the spacecraft, there might be ways to use the
high-fidelity system itself to synchronize time.

I'd be perfectly happy for you (and anyone else with an interest) to express
a 'user' perspective.  Once we get to something implementable, if you can do
some prototyping, that'd be great!

		--keith