[Sois-sdr] Kickoff

Foore, Larry R. (GRC-RHD0) lawrence.r.foore at nasa.gov
Mon Aug 9 16:47:58 EDT 2010

All,
Thanks for subscribing to the mailing list.  In approximately one month, I’ll report to Adrian the membership of this list and hopefully any pros/cons we jointly discuss regarding addressing reconfigurable platforms within CCSDS.

What may be an instructive exercise is to consider how Prox-1 may be implemented and fielded on two separately developed/provided SDRs.  What would need to be clarified for waveform developers and/or system integrators to ensure interoperability?  Would it be limited to a common lexicon for SDRs, or perhaps more?  Is a reference architecture necessary with clearly articulated and supported functions?  These are just a few questions to get a dialogue going.

Perhaps such a dialogue would help us understand 1) the necessity (or lack thereof) of an SDR WG, 2) the bounds of such a group, and 3) the objectives of such a group.

As a matter of reference, the content of the STRS Architecture lunchtime talk during the Spring CCSDS meeting in Portsmouth, VA can be found here:

http://public.ccsds.org/meetings/2010Spring/Tech/lunchtime/Foore-CCSDS%20STRS%20Presentation%20May%203rd.pdf

Thanks again,
Larry