REMINDER: [Sois-opp] Next CCSDS SOIS PnP Telecon (2 July 2008 @ 11:00am EDT[GMT-5])

Scott Burleigh Scott.Burleigh at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jul 2 12:30:51 EDT 2008

Hi, PnP enthusiasts.  In today's telecon we identified two possible
topics to focus on in our next conference call:

1.   One possibility would be to discuss in more detail the plausibility
of "merging" the complementary design features of Satellite Data Model
(SDM) and CCSDS Asynchronous Message Service (AMS) into a unified device
PnP architecture with the strengths of both -- tentatively, SDM's
advanced data characterization and representation capabilities and AMS's
protocols for communication path discovery and auto-configuration.

2.   A second possibility would be to concentrate on PnP data
characterization and representation, regardless of the transport fabric
(AMS or other) used to convey the data.  This is a problem that we
believe is being addressed by Kevin Gifford's BioNet team, by Stuart in
his SOIS implementation, and (at a somewhat different scale) by Ron
Beale, Walt Reynolds, and others at Johnson Space Center in their
implementation of a CCSDS SM&C prototype.  Does it make sense to
converge on a standard?  Is SDM a good basis for that standard?

If we decide to pursue topic 2, we might want to invite participation by
the JSC guys, who are not members of the SOIS PnP working group.  In
either case, it would probably be good to agree on our agenda beforehand
so that we can all prepare the relevant points we want to make and
questions we want to ask.

Scott