[Smwg] AI2017-0512-54: Create draft Tech Note on State Machines

Barkley, Erik J (3970) Erik.J.Barkley at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Oct 6 01:18:17 UTC 2018

Hello Marcin,

I finally had a chance to take a quick look through the state charts. Looking good.   A couple of general observations:

1)      We will probably have to consider various guard conditions and/or do some sort of trade study as to our general approach for guard conditions. The typical example of the kind of thing I'm thinking about has to do with those information entities that are more in a "support" role. For example, is deletion of a configuration profile to be allowed if there are a) service requests pending against the configuration profile or b) service package executions pending against the configuration profile. And of course this also gets into things like trajectories, event sequences, etc. One approach is perhaps to allow for the deletion with the understanding that any scheduled service packages still retain that information (we are really now getting into management service considerations). Another perhaps more "simple" approach is to categorically reject this and require that the client/user back things out in a sensible manner meaning that they have to cancel the service package first. But of course that opens up another question of "computer science correct" versus what I might call "operationally pragmatic". (I can hear it already - "we want both!")

2)     In general we might want to consider recommending that pretty much all information entities have expiration dates. Including, even service catalogs. These dates can be quite far into the future but I think there's a certain benefit in that there is some consideration from a standards point of view of having to refresh/reconfirm as opposed to promoting more of an entropy friendly point of view.

I predict more interesting discussions ahead at the Berlin meetings!