[Smwg] CSTS procedure instances and service packages

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Mon May 21 16:39:12 UTC 2018

Erik,
The paradigm is that, for those procedure types that can have multiple instances (some types are limited to one instance), Service Management configures the maximum number of instances that can be activated for the execution of the Service Package (in reality it could be more of a permanent upper limit established in the Service Agreement, but since we're going in the direction of making the SA a collection of Configuration Profiles, the upper limits will be specified as part of those CPs).

The instance numbers are sequentially ordered (that is, if SM configures 10 instances, the procedure instance numbers are 1 -10), and at the time of the initial configuration all instances of a given procedure type for a given CSTS instance have the same initial configuration parameter values. Whether or not the CSTS user chooses to activate some or all of the procedure instances (up to the SM-configured max) is up to them, and the degree to which a user can tailor each instance (e.g., what parameters a given procedure instance reports and at what intervals) is all handled in-line as part of the protocol of the procedure type. So it's all hands-off for SM beyond the specification of the max number of procedure instances.

John