[Smwg] Response to AI 2017-0512-16

Holger.Dreihahn at esa.int Holger.Dreihahn at esa.int
Thu Nov 2 08:44:14 UTC 2017

Hi Erik,
We had a little discussion at about your response on the event sequence, I
try to give some give a consolidated feedback. In our discussion we saw
the event sequence rather as a sequence of states than of events. Looking
at your example of the  1-way tracking to 2-way-tracking transition
confirmed our understanding that something like 2-way-tracking is perhaps
rather a state than an event.

As a rough picture we thought that the definition of state machines
providing valid state sequences is a good start (as you point out below).
However, we believe that the inputs to the state machine should conform in
a way to the events (predicted or real time) and directives provided by
the FR model. We do not believe that this imposes an all or nothing
approach, it rather ensures consistency and that it can be implemented;
the CSTS-MD and CSTS-SC clearly (will) rely on the FR model parameters,
events and directives. Finally these state sequences and underlying state
machines form a layer on top of the FR model.

When thinking further we thought that the FR model by definition has to
provide all events observable on ground (e.g. receiver looses lock),
including the CLCW related information like the on-board lock. Likewise
the FR model abstracts all actions in form of directive you can execute on
ground, as well as parameters reflecting the state. As such it has to be
kind of complete, no?

Wolfgang also pointed out a number of things like
- compound directives
- ways to switch part of the configuration

If I understand correctly, the latter is taken care of by separating the
static and dynamic aspects of configuration profiles.

Let's discuss.

Kind regards,
Holger

Holger Dreihahn
European Spacecraft Operations Centre | European Space Agency | S-431
+49 6151 90 2233 | http://www.esa.int/esoc