[Smwg] Re: Input from SE Area requested: Proposed updates to SoS SANA Registry section

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 24 22:57:42 UTC 2015

Hi Erik,

I think we are on the same page here, or at least are edging closer.   In the proposed mods to the existing registries I showed how we could, in fact, add attributes like "service provider" to an organization entry and I proposed an OID structure that defines that role.  I think we need to have both your SM WG guys, and the SANA guys, vet that and either agree to use it or propose an alternative.  My belief is that we need that review and analysis.

Most of the questions in your added notes seem to be of the "when will it be ready?" form.  Since the key registries (orgs, people, spacecraft) already exist I think the answer is "as soon as you guys sign off on it and as soon as the SANA team cranks the numbers into the right fields.  Some (but not all) of those key numbers are OIDs.  We have an OID registry.  I think we can extend this pretty quickly if/when we can get your crew and the SANA guys to sign off on (or fix) what has been proposed.

I think we do need to go through a more formal CCSDS doc update and review process, but in the meanwhile we can create some provisional registries that have all of these features.  It's sort of up to Marc and co to say whether this can work, if it is viable based on available resources, and when it might be mocked up.  I think for this purpose that even if we just had provisional registries for now we would be in good shape for rolling this out for external review.

We can make this a long drawn out process or just get on with it.  I'd prefer, with some amount of deliberation, to just get on with it.  IMHO almost anything that we do after some thought will be better than what we have now.

As for the RF Asset registry, after thinking about it some more I suggest that we just ask the RF Asset people to add an OID (that we provide) to their registry.  We should also ask for access, and I think they should allow it, but that is up to them.  I asked Marc and his team about this yesterday, but have not yet heard back from him.  But again, after some thought, I think you CSS (SM & CSTS) guys may well need your own registry where you define the service aspects, as opposed to the physical aspects (diameter, etc) of these antennas, the ground station sites, and other service sites that do not have GS but still offer services (of different kinds).  I proposed a Site and Ground Station registry that I believe covers all of these topics.  I'd like to get your guys to take a look at this and see if it fits your needs.  As I understand it a lot of what you are building in the SLE and CSTS OID tree has to do with classification and type.  I think that the instances of elements that get tagged with those types belong in the Site & GS registry, or at least that is how I envision it.

Is this right or did you guys have something else in mind?

Regards, Peter