[Smwg] Action 2015-0327-3 Investigate use of IAU for Celestial Body naming

Colin.Haddow at esa.int Colin.Haddow at esa.int
Thu Apr 2 13:03:47 UTC 2015

Dear all,
                 I've had a look at the IAU web site and it would appear to
me that there are 2 online catalogues available that, together, should cover
the likely needs of CSSM with respect to Solar System Objects (much as I'd
like to think one day we'll need to worry about Occultation by bodies in the
Sirus system for example unfortunately I don't believe it'll be a problem in
our lifetimes...)

Anyway the two catalogues are;

Planet and Satellite Names and Discoverers:
http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/Page/Planets
Minor Planet names:
http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/iau/lists/MPNames.html

These seem to be sufficient to me, but I'm a software engineer, not a flight
dynamics whizzkid.

One further point worth noting is that the Planet and Satellite Names and
Discoverers catalogue gives 2 forms of name for satellites, e.g. the Moon is
also Earth I. Would we want to put any restriction on which form should be
used in the recommendation ?

Cheers for now,

Colin

Dr. Colin R. Haddow,