[Sls-slp] AOS First Header Pointer RID

Kazz, Greg (US 312B) greg.j.kazz at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Nov 2 18:05:35 UTC 2023

Dear SLP WG,

Please see my preliminary response to the ESA RID on the AOS First Header Pointer change to 16 bits in the AOS (732.0-B) pink sheets that are due for final review in December.

https://cwe.ccsds.org/sls/docs/Forms/AllItems.aspx?RootFolder=%2Fsls%2Fdocs%2FSLS%2DSLP%2FMeeting%20Materials%2F2023%2FFall%2FAOS&FolderCTID=0x012000439B56FF51847E41B5728F9730D7B55F&View=%7BAE8FB44C%2DE80A%2D42CF%2D8558%2DFB495ABB675F%7D

We will discuss this RID at our Fall meeting in The Hague.
Thanks to Andrea for releasing it early to us so that we have more time to consider it.

Basically, it addresses the need to document the legacy case of using only the last 11 bits of the FHP, but still allowing future use of all 16 bits.
My feeling is we can document the different use cases in a NOTE as opposed to use normative text.
Afterall, legacy will not always be the case and therefore the legacy will some day not be used. However, by making a NOTE we acknowledge and inform the users to be aware of the two use cases (11 bit vs 16 bit). The user as always needs to be aware that both sender and receiver match, which is always best verified by test.

Regards,
Greg
Chair SLP WG