Capability to transfer data either in an asynchronous, synchronous, or periodic fashion: [Sls-slp] Review Copy of USLP Draft White Book for Cleveland Meeting placed on CWE - Please use this version

Greenberg, Edward (312B) edward.greenberg at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 23 14:22:48 UTC 2016

It relies on frame delivery

From: sls-slp-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org [mailto:sls-slp-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org] On Behalf Of Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 12:33 AM
To: Kazz, Greg J (312B)
Cc: sls-slp at mailman.ccsds.org
Subject: Capability to transfer data either in an asynchronous, synchronous, or periodic fashion: [Sls-slp] Review Copy of USLP Draft White Book for Cleveland Meeting placed on CWE - Please use this version

Greg,
        I would like to refer to the change in the snapshot.
[cid:image001.gif at 01D184D4.CB7FAB50]

Section 2.2 describes  the  data transfer services that the USLP Space Data Link Protocol provides to users.
In this sense the data are not frames (generated by the protocol sublayer towards the coding sublayer, at sending end) but are the data (packets, etc received .by the protocol sublayer from the upper layer). In fact those services are summarised in Table 2-1.

Therefore the reference to frame and codeblock alignment is not appropriate there.
In other words if a users decide to use the Virtual Channel Octet Stream Service generating data in Asynchronous [Periodic] mode, that service will remain Asynchronous [Periodic] independently from frame and codeblock alignment.

In general I think USLP has no need to mention frame and codeblock alignment  anywhere in this document.

Best regards and Happy Easter/Happy Purim to everybody.

Gian Paolo