[Sls-slp] RE: Updated Draft USLP White Book for SLP WG and interested parties review

Greenberg, Edward (312B) edward.greenberg at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jul 10 01:06:32 UTC 2015

Massimo,  I sorry you didn't put me on your distribution, because I can provide you the rationale for the assumptions in USLP.  Your comments are enumerated blow in Black, My response is in RED.

1)       As discussed in the past, with a variable frame size, as intended by USLP, C&S would have a very hard time delimiting the frames, a much cleaner solution would be to have USLP itself to take care of the delimiting (while C&S would do the same for the codewords). Currently in the TC books (most similar to USLP with variable frame size) the behavior is that the protocol sublayer performs frame delimiting while the coding sublayer performs delimiting of data units (consisting of one or more Transfer Frames).
            It results that the functions actually performed in USLP may/shall adapt to the setting for variable or fixed length frames.
            I have no problem moving frame sync to data services sublayer, except the sublayer below is called coding and sync.  It provides sync and coding for code block and should provide sync and CRC coding for the frame.  GP has been adamant about the interface to the C&S sublayer be the frame: this requires the C&S to delimit the received frame adding CRC is totally in line with C&S.

2)      Is this really the case? Undetected error rate with BCH is rather good (even w/o the use of optional CRC), as can be seen in CCSDS230.1-G, sec 9.5.3

This is only true if the SNR is above 10**-3, if it is below that and in anomalous conditions it may very well be.  Another is if you get false sync you have significant error problems.

3)      As of today, the security of the TC is apparently a concern for NE (LEO) missions, not so much for DS (or NE not LEO), so it's difficult to accept that everything should change because of this requirement. This seems to be Green material, more than (future) Blue, in any case.

This is a leading STD hopefully for many years.  Are you sure who your allies will be?

4)      While this is true for (TM) transmitters (modulators), I believe it is still a bit premature for transponders

NASA is already working on a universal transceiver, can ESA be far behind?

5)      A)  I would recommend avoiding this sort of grand and general statements. Especially for FPGAs, a number of Agencies are still facing very serious issues with qualification, preventing effective use of the most recent and powerful devices (for critical units as transponders or transmitters) for a number of years to come. Besides, this seems Green Book material more than (future) Blue.

B) Possibly software-defined radio transponders...but certainly not "software transponders"

NASA is already working on a universal transceiver, can ESA be far behind? Can Transponders be far behind?

6)      It's not up to USLP to indicate which codes should be used

We were not putting down SCCC.  LDPC was an example.

7)      --As far as USLP is concerned, it is enough to mention coding and sync functions. This part should be deleted altogether.

--Not clear why a new book would be required (when USLP is still so far away from needing it, anyway)

USLP is being designed for all links, It would be nice to have a C&S for all links.  You are forward looking and are pushing SCCC.  We are trying to be forward looking for Link Layer as well.

8)      Why C&S operations should be specified in a protocol book? This is leading to an increase confusion, against the protocol segregation principle. I'm very much against it. If anything, refer to the existing coding books.

Note that every Blue book describes the services provided by the layers above and below.  That is why C&S is included.  IT would be much easier to say that the interface between the data services sublayer and C&S is a Frame!!!!   And today we only have C&S for TC or TM/AOS or Prox.....We need something for all links so that an orbiter needs only 1 link layer protocol.

Thanks for your review.  It is important to get comments from all the WGs.  If C&S has yet to address these issue I think that it might be time to do so.