[Sls-slp] Re: Improving CCSDS 130.0-G and Proximity-1 Services

Kazz, Greg J (313B) greg.j.kazz at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Mar 25 19:15:08 UTC 2013

Dear Marjorie and G.P.,

I recommend we adjust the NOTE under Section 3.2.3 in CCSDS 130.0-G to
say: (identified between ** ** below)

NOTE  ­    The Proximity-1 Space Link Protocol is not
included in this table because no formal service definition is given in the
current Recommended Standards (references [18],
[19]and [20]). ** In spite of not having a formal service definition,
Proximity-1 can deliver the
same SDUs delivered by the Packet Service, Encapsulation Service and the
TC VCA
Service. **

My concern is the classic mixing of "apples and oranges together". Yes,
they are both fruit but they are not the same. So in TM, AOS, TC we have
well defined and understood services. In Prox-1 we do not have defined
services and we call them services. Better not to confuse the user in this
Green book by putting all of these so called services together in this
table. Better, I believe to acknowledge that Prox-1 is very similar to TC
in terms of the SDUs it can transfer but better to see the details in the
Prox-1 DLL book.

To be discussed further in Bordeaux.

Best regards,

Greg