[Sls-slp] Maximum Frame size for Turbocodes?

Kazz, Greg J (313B) greg.j.kazz at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Feb 11 18:25:50 UTC 2010

Dear CCSDS Coding & Sync WG,

I just want to confirm that the maximum allowable transfer frame size is 1115 octets when one uses a Turbo code.

A NASA mission in pre-phase A has approached me to ask if CCSDS has completed any further studies per the comment in the current standard below to  allow missions to use the 2048 octet frame size.  Have any further studies  been carried out or are planned by CCSDS ?

Currently Section 8 of the TM Sync and Channel Coding  (CCSDS 131.0-B-1<http://public.ccsds.org/publications/archive/131x0b1.pdf> ) states:

8.6.2 Performance for only the following information block lengths (i.e., Transfer Frame lengths) has been validated by CCSDS and approved for use (values are in octets):

a) 223;

b) 446;

c) 892;

d) 1115;

e) 2048.
NOTE - Interleaver parameters for the length 2048 octets are under study by the CCSDS. Until finalized, use of this option is not recommended.

Looking over the pink sheets (ccsds 131.0-P-1.1) I did not see any new information on this section.

Thanks and best regards,

Greg