[Sls-slp] Security, NGU and New TC services and there effecton COP-1

Greenberg, Edward (313B) edward.greenberg at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Oct 16 18:35:31 UTC 2009

See red below. Plus I have attached a slide showing how/where the security fits in various frames.
Note that security can be in the insert zone or with a secondary header in the secondary header data unit.  For links where the security is on every frame the insert zone is preferred.

On 10/16/09 10:11 AM, "Marjorie de Lande Long" <marjorie at delandelong.com> wrote:

Hallo everyone,

I have been following this discussion with interest, about the position
of the security checks w.r.t. the FARM at the receiving end.

> In short, your common conclusion is that there is no  interaction
> between DLS protocol and COP-1 protocol which ever the order in which
> we process them. Am I correct ? Here there is a slight disagreement.  If the security is done before the FARM then the COP will request frames that fail the security and work "normally".  If the secuity is after the COP and the frame passes the COP but fails the security then a gap in the accepted frame stream will occur and the delivered data after the security is error free but has a gap in continuity.

The position of the security at the sending end is another factor.  I
think there is some interaction with the FOP there:

1. The Cryptography Service draft says the ICV (Integrity Check Value)
is computed over the whole frame except for the optional CRC.  If that
is correct, then it includes the Frame Primary Header, which has the
Frame Sequence Number.  For AD frames, the sequence number is provided
by the FOP, so that should mean that the security is done after the FOP
at the sending end.  BC frames are created inside the FOP, and that also
suggests that the security is done after the FOP. (Does the same
security apply to BC frames?)

2. And if (1) is true, then symmetry at the receiving end would place
the security checks before the FARM.

Best regards,
Marjorie