[Sls-slp] Encapsulation Packet BOF

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 24 21:27:07 UTC 2004

At 01:11 PM 3/24/2004, Ed Greenberg wrote:
>I guess term Ultra-light is relative.  In small aircraft it is about the
>size of a VW.  In comparison to IPv6 anything is small.

Ed: agreed - but my point is that you should be saying that to Gorry
Fairhurst, not to me. Do you think that we are the only people in the world
who would like to see efficient use of space links? The choice to use IP or
not will depend on mission requirements, but maybe there are some folks out
there in DVB-S land who would like to use IP but who would equally well
like to see a "Mega-lite" encapsulation mechanism. We ought to at least
explore the possibility before we go off and build our own.

By the way, does anyone know if the commercial guys like Avtec, who build
CCSDS link equipment, have been invited to join this proposed BOF? Before
we bugger around with the space link protocols, we should be consulting the
people who have invested serious money in the current infrastucture.

///adrian