[Sls-sea-dls] SDLS EP GVCID Issues

David Koisser (external) David.Koisser at esa.int
Fri Jul 12 14:35:00 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,

We noticed some more issues regarding the GVCID / MAPID. After checking,
it turns out different standards have very different interpretations. I
attached screenshots of the regarding sections of the blue books for your
convenience.

The SDLS EP GVCID seems to be an aggregate of the longest defined versions
of the respective fields. To my knowledge SDLS EP seems to be the only and
first document, which specifically defines a (merged) GVCID. All other
standards only define them as GVCID = TFVN + SCID + VCID & GMAPID = TFVN +
SCID + VCID + MAPID (without sizes). In USLP the relation between old and
new frames is defined, but only for Proximity-1 (see C1.1). I am not sure
if this is more clearly explained somewhere else.

In SDLS EP I see two problems. First, there is no explanation or
justification for the lengths. Second, this may possibly lead to severe
bugs, e.g. overflowing a TM VCID bigger than what fits in the defined 3
bits, like 16 bits in USLP or worse, 6 bits in TC (with identical TFVN as
TM). Improper sanity checks here may even lead to security critical bugs.

Cheers,
David