[Sls-rfm] Notes from today's SEA SAWG Coordination meeting on the SCCS-ARD document updates

Jon Hamkins Jon.Hamkins at jpl.caltech.edu
Thu Jul 8 00:23:24 UTC 2021

Enrico, Andrea,

list about the Space Communication Cross Support Architecture
Requirements Document, below I provide the feedback I gave to Peter
Shames immediately after the June 23 meeting on this topic. Attached for
convenience are the slides being commented upon.

***

Clearly a lot of effort has gone into this. At some point I would like
to go over the Section 6 tables and things in more detail, and it may be
some time before I will be able to do so. But before things get too far
down the track, I wanted to write to you now regarding the treatment of
VCM. This is meant in the spirit of constructive criticism and leading
to a better result for the SCCS-ARD. Here are some detailed thoughts.

I confess that I don't see a convincing case for including substantial
VCM material in the SCCS-ARD. Unless a good case can be made for why we
need it, I suggest that we plan to leave it out, except for describing
the interface to the physical layer, which is where the jig-saw pieces
meet and description actually is missing from the Blue Books. I think
there are some good reasons why VCM in SCCS-ARD is not needed:

  * The current SCCS-ARD, published in 2015, does not describe or refer
    to "VCM" anywhere, even though two VCM-related Blue Books were years
    old by that point. I have not heard anyone complain that more VCM
    description was needed than what was in the Blue Books in order to
    understand how things fit together.
  * Since then, we have published a VCM Blue Book that describes the
    unified protocol, with the differences between the two Blue Books
    described as Type 1 and 2 variants. I believe the original two
    books, together with the 431 book, make all of the necessary
    normative statements needed about how VCM works.
  * The purpose of the SCCS-ARD is to describe how the CCSDS standards
    fit together. That is already what 431 does, when it comes to VCM.
    In fact, we had envisioned the 431 book as a Magenta book,
    explaining how the common VCM protocol described in the SCCC and
    DVB-S2 standard could be used in conjunction with the TM codes.
  * There is no inter-operation between SCCC and DVB-S2, making a
    diagram showing the details of them together on one page unnecessary
    in the SCCS-ARD.
  * There is less need to describe VCM than other standards in the
    SCCS-ARD, because there are fewer jig-saw puzzle pieces to stitch
    together. The SCCC and DVB-S2 books are silos that are
    self-contained with multiple layers included.

I also have comments about the slides themselves.

  * "CCSDS has 3 VCM standards" is poorly worded.
      o We've always referred to SCCC and DVB-S2 as coding standards,
        together with some textbook modulations. And yes, a VCM
        protocol. But I wouldn't call them "VCM standards." The VCM was
        an ancillary, feather-in-the-cap feature of these new coding
        standards. All of the debate about these standards was about the
        complexity, performance, maturity, etc. of the codes.
      o In fact, the VCM protocol in the SCCC and DVB-S2 books is nearly
        identical, with the same header in the same place and of the
        same length using the same coding protection and same pi/2
        modulation. Also, the same architecture is used for pilot
        symbols, for shaping, and near-identical modulation options. The
        431 VCM book allows use of the same VCM protocol with the TM
        codes. With one VCM protocol used with many codes, I think it is
        a misleading to call that "3 VCM standards."
  * I think the VCM figure makes things more complicated and harder to
    understand than they actually are.
      o My main issue is that the figure fails to highlight that CCSDS
        has a unified VCM protocol which can be used in conjunction with
        the three coding options SCCC, DVB-S2, and TM turbo/LDPC. The
        figure makes it seem that everything about the signal flow is
        different at every step in the three books.
      o A second main issue is that for a diagram purportedly about VCM,
        there is little about how the VCM modes are signaled in the
        header. Frame Descriptor and Physical Layer Signaling aren't
        even mentioned, and those are the crux of the VCM architecture.
      o The term "VCM suite" is introduced. This is a new term with no
        value or tie back to the Blue Books. It may mislead the reader
        into thinking there are fundamentally different VCM protocols,
        which I think is the opposite of what this figure should be doing.
      o The "CCSDS VCM Protocol" is shown as a block in the middle, when
        in reality as described in 431 it encompasses both the SCCC and
        DVB-S2 protocols.
      o It is unclear from this diagram that SCCC codes use Type 1 VCM
        and DVB-S2 use Type 2 VCM
      o The things that are common -- functions like slicing, ASM,
        modulation, pilot -- are drawn multiple times, giving the
        impression that they are different.
      o The slicer for DVB is shown within the ETSI standard, when it is
        really part of the CCSDS standard (131.3).
      o The boxes labeled "variable coding and modulation" contain no
        coding and no modulation. I think you mean VCM control.
      o No VCM control is shown for the TM codes.
      o No VCM control is shown for the pilots.
      o No VCM control is shown for the slicer.
      o Arrows showing direction of flow are missing throughout.
      o The circle-plus notation in the figure is confusing. In other
        CCSDS standards, that notation means XOR, which is not what is
        going on here.
  * Regarding the all stacks diagram on p. 24
      o One area I think the SCCS-ARD could help with is making explicit
        that SCCC, DVB-S2, and TM coding books interface to the RFM 401
        book. P. 24 does a reasonable job of this, showing the RFM below
        the SCCC and DVB-S2 codes and it should be backed up with words.
      o Again, p. 24 has a box called "VCM suite," and all of SCCC and
        DVB-S2 and 431 are hidden inside that box, which doesn't make
        sense. They are each their own blue book.
      o Please be aware that reasonable people see different boundaries
        for the physical layer. The SCCC and DVB-S2 books define the
        modulations, and the RFM book /also /defines the modulations.
        Whether you choose to believe modulation is in the physical
        layer or the coding sublayer is a matter of taste. In the
        optical standards, for example, the physical layer is limited to
        physical quantities (frequencies, polarization, linewidth,
        etc.), and modulation is considered to be in the coding
        sublayer. That is because the modulation is part of the code.
        But the way p. 24 is drawn implies an inconsistent
        interpretation what layer modulation is in. You can't fix that,
        as the blue books have this inconsistency.

      ----Jon

*Jon Hamkins*
Chief Technologist, Communications, Tracking, and Radar Division

*JPL*   |   jpl.nasa.gov